TECHNOLOGY

The current commercial food waste digesters in the marketplace have a waste digestion efficiency of 60 – 65%; that means 35 – 40% food waste remains undigested and is discharged into sewers as grey-water. The trade effluent released by current market digesters contains oils, proteins, amino acids, lipoproteins, glycoproteins, nucleic acids, and a variety of carbohydrates, organic acids, and volatile organic compounds that contribute to conventionally higher levels of Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD), Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD), Total Suspended Solids (TSS), Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG), colour and odour. These are all parameters that must be reduced in order to prevent fees associated with dirty water discharge.

Micron Waste Technologies has developed patented technology (US10144044) to manage food waste on-site and convert it into clean water. Our aerobic food digester has micro-oxygen cubicle (MOC) technology to enhance the aerobic digestion efficiency of microorganisms up to 95%. The remaining 5% undigested food particles released in the grey-water are further treated by a four-step treatment process. This converts the grey-water into clean water.

The clean water generated in this process can be recycled or reused. Unlike other food waste systems, our technology is a closed loop system where effluent released from the food digester is processed by our patented biotechnology, then recycled back into the system. The effluent parameters such as Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD), Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD), Total Suspended Solids (TSS), Fats/Oils/Grease (FOG), color, and odour are reduced so that the water becomes clean, meeting the guidelines set out in municipal wastewater bylaws.

Micron Waste technology is economical, effective, eco-friendly, reliable, and above all, exceeds municipal bylaw wastewater discharge standards.

The transformation process from organic waste to clean water

1

Shredding

Food waste is introduced to a shredder. Here, the waste is broken down into small particles to increase the efficiency of the digestion process.
2

Digestion

In the next stage, Micron’s proprietary mix of enzymes and microbes break down the waste. Following this process, the water is 95% clean.
3

Water Treatment

The water undergoes a final water treatment process to reduce wastewater parameters to municipally accepted standards. Pathogens and toxins are removed, and the water is 99.94% clean.
4

Water Recycle

The water can be reused for the process in a closed loop system, or used for other purposes such as irrigation. It is also safe to release into municipal sewers without incurring excess pollution fees.