OUR TECHNOLOGY

Converting organic waste to clean water

Micron Waste Technologies has developed patented technology (US10144044) to manage organic waste on-site and convert it into clean potable water.

State of the art, patented technology

Current commercial food waste digesters in the marketplace have a waste digestion efficiency of 60 – 65% and discharge heavily contaminated effluent into municipal sewers. Water parameters like Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD), Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD), Total Suspended Solids (TSS), Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG), are often several times in excess of municipal effluent sewer discharge standards. These are all parameters that must be reduced in order to prevent fees or fines associated with grey water discharge.

Micron Waste Technologies has developed patented technology (US10144044) to manage organic waste on-site and convert it into clean water. Our aerobic organic digester has micro-oxygen cubicle (MOC) technology to enhance the aerobic digestion efficiency of microorganisms up to 95%. The remaining 5% undigested food particles are further treated by a water treatment process, converting greywater into clean water.

The clean water generated in this process can be recycled or reused. Unlike other food waste systems, our technology can feature a closed loop system where effluent released from the food digester is processed by our patented biotechnology, then recycled back into the system. The effluent parameters such as BOD, COD, TSS, FOG, colour, and odour are reduced so that the water becomes clean, meeting the guidelines set out in municipal wastewater bylaws.

Transforming organic waste to clean water

Micron’s technology turns organic waste into clean water using a 4-step process:

icon-shredding

Step 1

SHREDDING

Organic waste is mechanically shredded into smaller particles. This process increases efficiency by maximizing the surface area for microbes to consume the waste.
icon-digestion

Step 2DIGESTION

Micron’s proprietary mix of microbes and enzymes works to break down organic waste, producing trade effluent. An innovative encapsulation technology protects the microbes and enzymes from the harsh environment inside the digester.
icon-watertreatment

Step 3WATER TREATMENT

The effluent undergoes a water treatment process to remove contaminants and pathogens in the water. For the pharmaceutical industry, a separate microbial and water treatment system is added to denature Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs) in the effluent.
icon-waterreclamation

Step 4WATER RECLAMATION

The effluent can be further treated to become potable water. Alternatively, it can be recycled back into the digester, used as grey water, or discharged into the municipal sewers safely without requiring industrial water permits.

Key Benefits of Micron’s Solutions

icon-greenhousegas

Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions

Produces a smaller carbon footprint than current waste management practices.
icon-landfill

Save Landfill Space

Processes organic waste into clean water directly on-site, eliminating the need for landfill disposal.
icon-wastecost

Minimize Waste Disposal Expenditure

Eliminates landfill tipping fees, hauling expenses, wastewater discharge fees and regulatory compliance costs, and reduces employee labour for waste management.
icon-preservewater

Preserve Fresh Water Resources

Easily configurable to recirculate clean potable water back to the customer, or repurpose the water for cleaning, landscaping, or agricultural use.